Fort Charles (9 a.m.–4:45 p.m. daily, US$5 admission/ tour) is the most prominent historical attraction in town and the most impressive, well-restored fort in Jamaica. Built in 1656 immediately following the British takeover, it is the oldest fort on the island from the British colonial period, and one of the oldest in the New World.
East of Kingston
The areas along the coast east of Kingston include the communities of Harbour View, Seven Mile, Palm Beach, and Bull Bay. The Palisadoes, a 16-kilometer-long stretch that runs from the roundabout at Harbour View to the tip of Port Royal, is home to Kingston's Royal Jamaica Yacht Club and Marina, the Marine Research Institute, Norman Manley International Airport, Plumb Point Lighthouse, Port Royal, and just offshore, the area’s most popular beaches on the small island of Lime Cay and nearby Maiden Cay.
The community of Harbour View surrounding the roundabout at the base of the Palisadoes was built on the site of Fort Nugent, originally constructed by a Spanish slave, James Castillo, and later fortified by Governor Nugent in 1806 to protect the eastern approach to Kingston Harbour. Today all that remains of the fort is the Martello tower, which takes its name from the first such tower, built in Corsica and popularized throughout England.
Lime Cay is a paradisiacal islet, just barely big enough to sustain some vegetation. The beach gets crowded on weekends, especially on Sunday, and is worth a visit to take in the local scene. Launches leave for Lime Cay on weekends from Y-Knot Bar or at Morgan’s Harbour (US$10 per person round-trip); you can also get there on any other day, for a slightly higher price when the boats don’t fill up. At times there are launches from the old Ferry Dock area that will do the trip for a bit less, especially for small groups.