Coke Church is the most prominent building on East Parade. It stands on the site of the first Methodist chapel in Jamaica. The present structure was rebuilt after the 1907 earthquake, replacing the original built in 1840 and named after Thomas Coke, who founded the Methodist missions in the British Caribbean.
Call or email for assistance planning your trip: +1 (212) 203-0064 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ward Theatre (visitors welcome 9 a.m.–5 p.m. Mon.–Fri. or for scheduled events) facing the park on North Parade was also a regular venue for Garvey speeches.
The Institute of Jamaica (IOJ) was founded in 1879 by Governor General Anthony Musgrave to encourage "Literature, Science and Art," as the letters on the main building's facade read. The institute has several divisions: Natural History, National Gallery, National Library, Museum of History and Ethnography, African-Caribbean Institute, and Liberty Hall.
The National Gallery (10 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Tues.–Thurs., 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Fri., 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Sat., closed Sun.
The Natural History Division is the oldest division of the IOJ and is housed adjacent to the Institute's main building on the ground floor. The Museum of History and Ethnography (10 East St., 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Mon.–Thurs., 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
The Jamaica Military Museum (US$1 adults, US$0.50 children, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
Jamaica has a vibrant tradition in theater, pantomime, and spoken word performances, with annual shows and competitions sponsored by the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (www.jcdc.org.jm). Events are held throughout the year but come to a head during the weeks around Emancipation and Independence in early August.
Liberty Hall (museum hours 10 a.m.– 4 p.m. Mon.–Fri., US$1 adults, US$0.50 children) is the latest addition to the Institute Of Jamaica. The rehabilitated building was Marcus Garvey's base of operations in the 1920s and today has a small reference library with a wealth of knowledge related to the man and his teachings.
The African-Caribbean Institute of Jamaica (ACIJ, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. Mon.–Thurs., 8 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Fri.) has been run under the direction of Bernard Jankee since 1995.
National Heroes Park, which encompasses Heroes Memorial, occupies 30 hectares below Cross Roads on Marescaux Road within the large roundabout known as Heroes Circle. The roundabout surrounds what was once the city's main sporting ground, later becoming the Kingston Race Course.
- Kingston (399) Apply Kingston filter
- Negril and the West (43) Apply Negril and the West filter
- Ocho Rios and the Central North Coast (36) Apply Ocho Rios and the Central North Coast filter
- Montego Bay and the Northwest (30) Apply Montego Bay and the Northwest filter
- Mandeville and the South Coast (24) Apply Mandeville and the South Coast filter
- The Blue Mountains (20) Apply The Blue Mountains filter
- Port Antonio and the East Coast (14) Apply Port Antonio and the East Coast filter
- Attractions (125) Apply Attractions filter
- Food (124) Apply Food filter
- Villas (82) Apply Villas filter
- Shopping (73) Apply Shopping filter
- Jamaican (65) Apply Jamaican filter
- Bars (44) Apply Bars filter
- Hotels (43) Apply Hotels filter
- Accommodations (42) Apply Accommodations filter
- Seafood (37) Apply Seafood filter
- Sports & Recreation (29) Apply Sports & Recreation filter
- Cafés & Pastry Shops (28) Apply Cafés & Pastry Shops filter
- Information and Services (26) Apply Information and Services filter
- Tours (25) Apply Tours filter
- Vegetarian (25) Apply Vegetarian filter
- Guesthouse (23) Apply Guesthouse filter
- Transportation (23) Apply Transportation filter
- Wellness & Fitness (23) Apply Wellness & Fitness filter
- European Plan (22) Apply European Plan filter
- Jerk (22) Apply Jerk filter
- All inclusive (19) Apply All inclusive filter
- Bed and Breakfasts (19) Apply Bed and Breakfasts filter
- Asian (18) Apply Asian filter
- Meat (18) Apply Meat filter
- Entertainment (16) Apply Entertainment filter
- Nightclubs (14) Apply Nightclubs filter
- Art Studios and Galleries (10) Apply Art Studios and Galleries filter
- Condos and Apartments (9) Apply Condos and Apartments filter
- Live Music (9) Apply Live Music filter
- Italian (7) Apply Italian filter
- Local Societies and Organizations (7) Apply Local Societies and Organizations filter
- Camping (6) Apply Camping filter
- Theatre (6) Apply Theatre filter
- Middle Eastern (5) Apply Middle Eastern filter
- Gaming & Gambling (4) Apply Gaming & Gambling filter
- Dance (3) Apply Dance filter
- Cinema (2) Apply Cinema filter
- The Arts (2) Apply The Arts filter